What is a Reducing Flange?
Reducing flanges are designed for when there is a change in the pipe size. The predominate flange (dimensions) matching the larger pipe size (NPT) but having a smaller bore matching the smaller pipe size (NPT). These flanges normally come in blind, slip-on, threaded and weld neck flanges. They are available in all pressure classes and provide a good alternative to connecting two different sizes of pipe. This type of flange should not be used if an abrupt transition would create unwanted turbulence, such as at a pump.
A reducing flange consists of a flange with one specified diameter having a bore of a different and smaller, diameter. Except for the bore and hub dimensions, the flange will have dimensions of the larger pipe size.
Except for the bore and hub dimensions, the flange will have dimensions of the larger pipe size. Reducing flanges are normally provided as one of three types:
Uses of Reducing Flanges:
- Reducing flanges are used in pipe-to-pipe connections.
- Reducing flanges are a little easier to bolt up than non-reducing flanges.
- They provide the most perfect solution when you need to connect different size flanges.
- These flanges are available in all types and pressures.
- Reducing flanges are fixed by welding, gluing or clamping flanges of equal dimensions provided with different connecting pieces.
- They offer the simplest and least expensive method of mating two different sized flanges.
Standards, Dimensions & Weight of Reducing Flange:
- 300# Slip-On Orifice Flange
- 300# Weld Neck Orifice Flange
- 600# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
- 900# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
- 1500# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
- 2500# Weld Neck Orifice (raised face and RTJ ring type joint) Flange
Material of Reducing Flange:
- Cabon steel: A105, A350 LF2
- Stainless steel: A182 F304/F304L/F316/F316L/F321
- Alloy steel: F11, F12
Packing: plywood case and plywood pa
- line pipe
- boiler tube
- machinery pipe
- carbon steel pipe
- alloy steel pipe
- gas cylinder tube
- pipe for structure
- weathering steel pipe
- stainless steel pipe
- pipe fittings and flanges